Frequently Asked Questions
Sailing away to exotic destinations is our speciality
Quarantine-free travel with Australia - what rules apply?
The New Zealand Government announced that from 19 April 2021, you can travel between Australia & New Zealand without having to go into a managed isolation facility.
Please CLICK HERE for the latest & up to date information from the New Zealand Goverment regarding the Australia & New Zealand travel bubble.
For other destinations, we are still awaiting further decisions from our Government, and we will update our site accordingly.
How will a Covid-19 case in Australia be managed and how will this affect my travel?
Please CLICK HERE for the latest & up to date information from the New Zealand Goverment regarding the Australia & New Zealand travel bubble and how any Covid-19 cases will be managed.
What Covid-19 protocols is my cruise line using?
Cruiselines have always been fastidious in their hygiene protocol.
Nearly all major cruise lines are a member of CLIA (Cruise Line International Association), who have introduced a new Member Policy for the minium standards that must be met. You can read about this here.
In addition to this, many cruise lines are implementing further standards to ensure passenger & crew safety.
As protocols are evolving, please ask us for further details on your preferred cruise line and we will be happy to supply you with up to the latest information.
What Covid-19 protocols are the Pacific Islands & Resorts using?
While each country will differ, we have seen countries such as the Cook Islands and Fiji implement apps, similar to New Zealands Covid-19 tracing app.
In terms of each Resort or service provider, protocols will be in place, however as this is constantly evolving, please check with your Ocean Escapes specialist for the latest information.
How do I pay my bill onboard the ship?
- Most cruise lines require a credit card to be registered and your final bill is charged to your registered card at the of the cruise.
- You can also bank cash if you prefer once you have boarded the ship. This is an excellent way to budget your spending as once you have used the cash on your cruise card it will decline until you top up.
- Debit cards can be used however they do get pre-authorised so be aware that any un-used funds can take up to 10 days to be returned to your debit card account from your bank.
- Travel cash passport cards are not recommended to pay a ship account, use those for when you are in port for shopping and other purchases.
How do I book shore tours?
- You can book on the ship as most will have a shore excursions desk onboard. This is helpful if your not sure and need to ask questions. You can attend shore talk lectures on the ship.
- Alternatively most cruiselines will have a link to the shore excursions on their manage your cruise or personaliser page which we will provide you. Here is where you can pre book and pre pay and then relax and know that you’re all organised. Tickets will be delivered to your cabin with information on meeting places and departure times.
- You can cancel a tour on the ship but you need to be aware of the cancellation deadlines on your vouchers or you will be charged.
What’s the $ currency on the ship?
- This varies from ship to ship, and the destination of your cruise.
- General rule is USD$ or $AUD / $NZD out of NZ.
- Tipping varies on each ship and cruiseline and often increases for premium cabins.
- It is a variable and some prices will include the gratuities (tipping) already.
- Some cruise lines do not charge tipping at all.
- You will always find a ‘suggested’ amount to guide you on the ship.
- You can request that tipping be removed and you will make your own arrangments.
- If you are happy to tip then leave the suggested amount and it will be charged daily or tip your favourite staff memeber directly.
Yes – these are fantastic for families and offer educational and fun activities for kids of all ages.
Fully supervised and a safe environment. You can enjoy a quiet dinner while the kids are making new friends and having fun!
Can I bring alcohol on the ship?
- This varies depending on the cruiseline, plus we can advise you of the ship alcohol policy.
- Duty free is allowed in port and the ship will cargo this for you and return to you before you depart the ship on the last day.
What’s On-Board Credit?
- On-board credit is complimentary spending money for use on the ship. It will vary depending on the cruise line and is always in the currency of the ship.
- It is non-refundable so use it or lose it – you can spend this credit on tours, beverages, towards spa treatments and shopping.
- You cannot withdraw it as cash.
- It is loaded onto your ship account against your particular cabin.
- It is generally only given to the first 2 passengers in a cabin. It doesn’t apply to 3rd and 4th passengers if you’re in a triple or quad share room.
Cruise Line Loyalty Clubs
- All cruise lines offer a loyalty programme of some description.
- The best way to earn credits and bonuses is to stick with your favourite cruiseline, as you would an airline frequent flyer membership.
- The benefits can include free upgrades, on-board spending money, laundry, wifi and access to special sale fares in advance of general public.
Can I visit the Bridge on the Ship?
- Some ships offer bridge and galley tours as part of a tour activity and can be purchased on the ship.
- Some ships have a viewing platform so you can watch the bridge operations.
Can I pay my cruise off slowly?
- This depends on the fare you choose.
- If you are just required to pay a deposit and then the balance by a due date then you can pay in instalments as long as its paid in full by the final due date.
- If you are purchasing a Flash Sale Fare or Instant Purchase fare due to last minute cruise departures then you will be required to pay in full.
Dining & Speciality Restaurants
- All major cruiselines offer a choice of main dining room – full waiter and menu service and a buffet which is usually off the pool deck area.
- Many also offer speciality dining options these are often a taste of Italian, French or Asian influence or the classic Steak House Grills and of course the great pub style lunches such as fish & chips. For a casual lunch, enjoy burgers, fries and ice cream at the popular grills, found poolside.
- They will generally have a cover charge and require reservations but are a very nice way to celebrate an occasion on the ship or a special evening.
- Many cruise lines offer an option to purchase a Dining Package before you cruise – giving you a discounted price on the cover charges to enjoy several restaurants onboard – please enquire with our specialists.
- Often speciality restaurants can be booked before you cruise, giving ou the ability to ensure you have your favourite restaurant for a special occassion.
- All cruises include main meals, accommodation, entertainment on board and all port taxes.
- Many premium cruiselines also offer included shore tours, beverage packages and onboard credit.
- Keep an eye on our specials and sign up for our newsletter so you never miss a DEAL!